Rare Case of Orbital Echinococcosis. A Histopathological Perspective.
Hydatid cyst of orbit is a rare disease constituting less than 1% of prevalence worldwide. It is a parasitic infestation by Ehinococcus granulosus. It is prevalent in various regions of the world including South Asia. We hereby report a case of a 27-year-old male was admitted to the ophthalmology ward of Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre. Presenting complaints were painless protrusion of left eye for the last few months progressing with time. After surgical excision the specimen was sent to the Pathology Department, BMSI, JPMC, Karachi, for histopathological evaluation. Gross examination revealed multiple fragments of translucent, pearly-white, glistening thin wall of a cyst measuring 4x 5 cm in aggregate. Histologically features of hydatid cyst were identified with eosinophilic cyst wall, innermost germinal coat, containing attached and separated protoscolices and multiple daughter cysts, surrounded by dense fibrovascular tissue and chronic inflammatory infiltrate.
2. Cadavid Restrepo AM, Yang YR, McManus DP, Gray DJ, Giraudoux P, Barnes TS, Williams GM, Soares Magalhaes RJ, Hamm NA, Clements AC. The landscape epidemiology of echinococcoses. Infect Dis Poverty. 2016;5:13.
3. Zhang T, Zhao W, Yang D, Piao D, Huang S, Mi Y, Zhao X, Cao J, Shen Y, Zhang W, et al. Human cystic echinococcosis in Heilongjiang Province, China: a retrospective study. BMC Gastroenterol. 2015;15:29.
4. Bamashmus MA and Al-Shabooti. Orbital Hydatid Cyst: An Unusual Presentation.Saudi Journal of Ophthalmol.2006; 20(2):146-8
5. Guo, Zhu R, Qiu J, Zhu L and Yang L. Subretinal echinococcosis: a case report. BMC Ophthalmology 2017;185(17):0581-5
6. Wani RA, Wani I, Malik AA, Parray FQ, Wani AA, Dar AM, Hydatid disease at unusual sites.International Journal of Case Reports and Images. 2012;3(6):1-6
7. Lentzsch AM, Gobel H, Heindl LM. Primary Orbital Hydatid Cyst. Ophthalmology. 2016; 123(7):1410.
8. Kahveci R, Sanli AM, Gurer B, Sekerci Z. Orbital hydatid cyst. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2012;9(1):42–4.
9. Iqbal, H.J., Maqbool, A., Lateef, M., Khan, M.A., Riaz, A., Mahmood, A. et al., 2012, 'Studies on hydatidosis in sheep and goats at Lahore, Pakistan', Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences 22, 894-897.
10. Nicholson M, Kashyap VG, Honavar SG, Somasheila I M. Hydatid Disease of The Orbit - Lesson Forgotten. Paper presented at: 70th AIOC Proceedings, Cochin, 2012.
11. Geramizadeh B. Unusual locations of the hydatid cyst: A review from Iran. Iran J Med Sci. 2013 Mar; 38(1): 2–14
12. Zmerli S, Ayed M, Horchani A, Chami I, El Ouakdi M, Ben Slama MR. Hydatid cyst of the kidney: diagnosis and treatment. World J. Surg. 2001;25(1): 68–74.DOI: 10.1007/s002680020009
13. Polat P, Kantarci M, Alper F, Suma S, Koruyucu MB, Okur A. Hydatid disease from head to toe. Radiographics. 2003;23(2):475-94.https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.232025704
14. Karaoglanoglu N, Kurkcuoglu IC, Gorguner M, Eroglu A, Turkyilmaz A. Giant hydatid lung cysts. European journal of cardio-thoracic surgery. 2001 Jun ;19(6):914-7.